We recognise that transitions can be difficult for a child with SEND and take steps to ensure that any transition is a smooth as possible.
If your child is moving to another school:
- We will contact the school SENDCO and ensure he/she knows about any special arrangements or support that needs to be made for your child.
- We will make sure that all records about your child are passed on as soon as possible, with your permission.
When moving classes in school:
- Information will be passed on to the new class teacher in advance and in most cases, a planning meeting to decide strategies to support transition will take place.
- A social story or transition book to support your child’s understanding of moving on will be made for them if needed.
In Year 6:
- The SENDCO will attend the Primary Transition Meeting to discuss the specific needs of your child with the SENDCO of their secondary school.
- Your child will have focused learning tasks about aspects of transition to support their understanding of the changes ahead.
- Where possible, your child will visit their new school on several occasions and in some cases staff from the new school will visit your child in this school
In addition, for children with an EHC plan we will:
•Hold the Transition Annual Review in Year 5 in the Spring Term to plan for your child’s needs in secondary school.
•Hold a Transition meeting in Year 5 Summer Term to discuss your preferred secondary school choices.
•Hold the Annual Review in Year 6 at the end of the Spring Term or beginning of the Summer Term and invite the SENDCO of the named secondary school to attend.