Our values education project is now in full swing, and involves teaching the children 8 values throughout the year, and having a rewards system to praise those children who adhere to these values. Our value for this term is ‘Responsibility’.
- Having a role or duty to fulfil
- The obligation to behave correctly
- The opportunity or ability to act independently and take decisions
- Responsibility is doing the job we have been given, and also spotting jobs that we can do without being asked.
Behaviours that demonstrate 'Responsibility'
At school and at home:
- Making good decision in our own behaviour
- Taking responsibility for our learning
- Asking when we need help
- Being independent
- Ensuring we bring the necessary belongings to school e.g. book bags, reading diaries, homework
- Taking care to work hard
- Proactive – not stepping over litter, coats, seeing a need – stepping in
- Caring for others
- Demonstrating altruism
- Being involved in School Council- seeing this responsibility as important – willingness to work hard at it
- Taking responsibility for our own health – physical, mental and emotional wellbeing
- Care for pets / family
In the community:
- Volunteering – in school
- Volunteering in community/visiting elderly/caring for war memorial
- Being involved in outside clubs – being committed – e.g. cubs/scouts/brownies/guides/sports
- Proactive – not stepping over litter
At a national/ international level:
- Global responsibility to learn from others
- Responsibility for the environment e.g. rainforest, animals, global warming
- Responsibility for the poor
- To know our rights and responsibilities (human rights, the rights of the child).
Please could you discuss ‘Responsibility’ with children at home, and explore ways to reinforce it. Each week we will be giving special certificates to those children who demonstrate good values, and these will be displayed in the office reception area. Please feel free to come and look at them!